Hello and Welcome to my New Blog!

Hello there!

This is the first post of this new blog, A Year with the Saints. (I've always liked titles such as A Year in Provence, so I'm happy to have a blog with a similar title!)

St. John Paul II, one of my favourite saints

As you might guess from the title, the point of the blog is to look at a saint of the day, for every day of the year.

There are plenty of good websites you can visit to see which saints are being celebrated that day, all of which which give biographical information about that saint. I'm not trying to compete with those websites. In fact, I'm going to link to them.

No, this blog is going to be much more modest and much more personal. I'm going to choose one saint (there are many saints commemorated every day of the year) and write something about them. What did I know or think about that saint, before I read up on them? Did I learn anything new or exciting? How does this saint speak to me?

St. Gemma Galgani, another of my favourite saints

I've written a book about Catholic saints which I hope will be published soon. Researching that book, I obviously learned a fair amount about the relatively small number of saints I discuss in it. However, there are many more saints about whom I know little, very little, or indeed nothing. The exact number of Catholic saints is a matter for debate, but there are certainly thousands.


I've been keeping an online (but private) journal for the past two years, using the diary website Penzu. Since a title is required for each journal entry, I chose to give each day the title: "The Feast of St. Such-and-Such". I've been surprised how often I've never heard of any of the saints celebrated on a given day. Therefore this blog is as much a journey of discovery for me as it is for you, the visitor.

What saints will I choose to write about? It depends on any number of factors. I'm not going to confine myself to the well-known saints, but I'm not going to avoid them, either. I'm more interested in modern day saints than ancient or medieval saints, so that's going to influence me, too. I'm more interested in contemplative saints than "active" saints, but I'm sure I'll include plenty of "active" saints. Or maybe it will come down to how I feel on the day.

I have another blog, The Irish Papist, which I've been writing since 2011, which you might like to check out as well.

I hope you like this blog!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

St. Marie Magdalen Postel

St. Eadburh of Bichester